Thursday, March 28, 2013

8 Reasons a Break from Running can be a Good Thing

Howdy Ya'll!!

I have been taking a much needed break from running/working out and blogging. I'm currently working full time and attending classes. They are short classes so they cram in so much in so little time.

Other than that, life has been great. I've been really enjoying my time even though it's passing very quickly. The next 3 weeks I have 3 races. The first is a fun run called the Electric Run. I have a team of 8 people. That's right! I finally got my friends to join me in a race. It will be awesome. You should check if it's coming to your city. www.electricrun.com  That race is here in Austin this weekend. The following weekend I will be running the Capital 10k. I haven't been running in a month so I am not prepared to PR, but I am prepared to go enjoy myself with the other 24,999 runners. And the weekend after that I will be running the Ausin 10/20. 10 miles/20 bands. It will be my longest run ever. And again, because I haven't been running, I don't suspect that I'll be having the greatest run of my life, but I will be rockin it out there...and eveyone gets a medal! I'm in.

So like I said earlier, I've taken a whole month off of running. Here is a couple of reasons why you might want to try it too.

  1. It gave me time to miss it.
  2. It gave me time to do other things that I wouldn't normally do because of working out such as the Austin Rodeo/Carnival...and my vacation to Miami and the Bahamas.
  3. When I ran again today, I didn't dread it. I enjoyed it.
  4. It gave me time to remeber that it's not all about timing, pace, and mileage, but about being healthy and enjoying the run.
  5. It gave me time to realize that when I don't run, I feel sluggish and tired and fat.
  6. It gave me a reason to not have a set schedule everyday after work. I got to enjoy me time.
  7. It gave me more time with my boyfriend and dogs.
  8. It also made me realize that if you take a break it is okay just as long as you get back into it.
There are several other reasons to give yourself a break from running.

Have you ever taken a break from running? Was it from an injury or just because?

What did you realize when you took a break from running?

Do you have any fun races coming up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!! Drop a line.